Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Perks of the job

I have been one to bitch about my union representation because, frankly, they are sometimes more in favour of management than they are the workers. But they're pretty good (better than my previous union representation) and I get paid relatively well (less than other workers at other hospitals, but I'm not another worker at another hospital, so I'm okay with that), and get nice benes.

Today I had to take a conscious sedation class from 8am-12pm, then go back and work tonight from 7pm-7am. To say that I was less than stoked at this scheduling event would be an understatement. However, thanks to collective barganing, because there is less than a 9 hour break between class and working, I am eligible for double time for the first 4 hours, and time and a half for the next 8 tonight.

If I make $38 an hour....38 x 2 = 76 x 4 = 304 + ((38 x 1.5)*8) = 760

Normally I'd just make about 456 a night (that makes me feel like Paris Hilton to say I make $450 a night...gosh!)...sweet!

~~~

So another perk---after class today my co-workers and I were walking about the building and in that building are the wet and dry anatomy and simulation labs for the medical students. We asked for a tour of the wet lab (you should have heard the squeels of glee from myself and my fellow RN's at the idea of being able to see CADAVERS! oooh). While there weren't any actual cadavers, I did get to see a severed head in a bucket. Neat.

~~~~

Side note:
convo between myself and med student

Me: ooh neat! I've never seen a dead body!
Him: You've never seen a dead body?
Me: well I've seen a dead body, but like fresh dead. Not dead dead
Him: never?
Me: well, Okay I guess I've seen dead dead, but not cadaver dead.
Him: Is there a difference:
Me: I dunno. You tell me
Him: There really isn't a difference
Me: Then why are they only called cadavers when you play with them, but they're dead dead when I deal with them
Him: I dunno. You tell me
Me: Oooh neat! I've never seen a cadaver!

~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment